17 weeks and growing strong!
Thought it was time for an update! Yesterday I hit 17 weeks! Only 23 to go haha. Hopefully!
Well some great news, at 15 weeks 4 days the dreaded morning sickness decided to disappear. I can't tell you how relieved I am to be feeling back to normal again. I was dreading that I would have it on and off throughout the whole pregnancy like I did with the boys. So I am extremely grateful and can hopefully start enjoying the pregnancy.
Sleeping at night is already starting to become uncomfortable. Sleeping on my back makes me feel weird so I try and stick to the safe left side. Not always possible though. My tummy has definitely gotten rounder but is still in comparison to where it should be. At 16 weeks the Dr measured my tummy and it was measuring just about spot on 16cm.
I am struggling to find maternity bottoms at the moment. Kmart, Big W and Pumpkin Patch have nothing except leggings and shorts (which I have a few of). Might have to get some maxi dresses and skirts to accommodate my growing bump. I am keeping up with my bio oil to help reduce stretchmarks. My tiredness has gone down but I am still exhausted by 930pm, which has become my bedtime lately.
My hair seems thicker (although i am sure its probably still thin as!) and my nails are strong and growing. Shame I have nothing nice to say about my skin. I am still breaking out on my chin and forehead :(
Last week I had my first midwife appointment. It was at the Early Years Centre down at Coomera and the lady I saw was lovely. The appointment went for 2 hours and lots of questions were asked. We spoke about having a water birth and that I would need to be 100kg or less due to health and safety and midwifes having to get me out of the bath in an emergency. This sparked a desire in me to from now watch what I eat and to make good food choices that will help me stay in shape, slow weight gain in a healthy way and to be the best thing for baby. I am also using the exercise bike when possible and drinking loads of water.
At the end of the appointment the midwife pulled out the doppler and after some prodding and poking she was able to get a nice strong heartbeat. I couldn't help but cry....it was so surreal to hear and so so beautiful. I can't believe my son is in there....I wonder what the future will bring, what he will look like, his personality, his interests....just HIM! Can't wait to meet him.
The Gold Coast University Hospital has tours every Saturday afternoon so El and I are going to go to one soon. I have chosen GP shared care so all of my regular appointments will be with my female Dr Lauren Campbell just down the road. She is lovely and has always made me feel comfortable. Beats driving down the coast too. My next appointment down at the hospital wont be until 34 weeks.
Due to the request of the midwife as Mum has type 2 diabetes, I had to have an early Glucose Tolerance Test. This has changed since I last had one when 28 weeks with Oliver. I still have to have another at 28 weeks unfortunately.
I went in at 9am and they took bloods. I then had to sit in a little room and within 5 minutes drink this small bottle of straight out glucose. It was SO disgustingly sweet but I managed to drink it all in time. The timer started and then I had to sit and wait for an hour. After a few minutes of drinking it, I started to feel lightheaded and sick so really had to concentrate on not vomiting. After that hour I had to have another blood test and then wait ANOTHER hour! Once that hour was up ANOTHER blood test lol. The 3rd and last needle really hurt!
During the time waiting, I started ready Pinkie Mackay's "100 ways to calm the crying baby" and it really gave me a clearer insight into the sensitivity and loving requirements newborns need. That there should be no routines introduced at such a young age (talking newborns - 4 months) or expectations of how a baby should be. Just go with the flow and not to be ashamed of doing what you have to do to have a happy content baby. It is a shame I only have 9 months off but if breastfeeding is still going strong then, I hope to continue to feed whilst I am back at work. Funny how your perspective changes once you know you have life growing inside you!
At a Drs appointment last week, I received all my referrals and got to hear baby's heartbeat again. Oliver was with me but he didn't seem too fussed LOL I asked if I could record it on my phone so I showed Ell when he got home. He thought it was pretty cool!
I receive the results back from the GTT on Friday but I am sure it will be fine. I also have my 20 week morphology scan booked in for the 2nd November. I am so excited to see bubs. I will definitely do an update with some pics after it.
Ciao!

Comments