Oliver's Birth Story

Wednesday 22nd September, 2010

I was booked in to be induced at Redlands Hospital. I spent the day doing the last of my packing, cleaning and writing up ‘instructions’ for my neighbour for when she had to look after Sammy.

At 4.15pm we packed the car (Samuel with us) and headed off to the hospital. We arrived at 5pm and were taken to my room where I was set up on the bed with the heartbeat monitor.

For the next 45 minutes bub’s heartbeat was monitored and I had to press a button every time I felt him move. El and Samuel stayed with me for 45 minutes and then said their goodbyes (bedtime for Sam).

Next it was gel time. At 6pm they did an internal and the cervix was quite soft but still posterior and high up. They inserted the gel and left me on the monitor for another hour. After this it was taken off and I was told to get some rest and they would be back around 9pm to give me some sleeping tablets to try and get some rest. They said at 7am they would take me down to the birth suite to see how I was going.

At 8pm I felt a gush of water come out. I knew straight away it was my waters so buzzed the midwives.

I rang Elliot and let him know to start heading back in and to get Samuel into bed. I also rang Naomi and let her know to get ready.

Elliot arrived about 45 minutes later and I was already starting to contract. My waters just would not stop coming out every time I tried to stand up so I wore this HUGE pad and disposable undies. Naomi arrived shortly after and by then my contractions were quite ouchie. For the next hour I just sat on the edge of my bed, breathing through each contraction. The midwives and I noticed that I had stopped talking through them and I was becoming tired so one of them did an internal. I was 5cm. We decided it was time to head down to the birth suite.

I sat in a wheelchair and was pushed down to birth suite very quickly, only having one contraction on the way. As soon as we got to the room I got into my swimmers and jumped in the shower, sitting on the fitball.

Thursday 23rd, September, 2010

For the next hour and half I sat in the shower and clung to the hose for dear life. I held the hot water against my stomach with each contraction, counted down the seconds until they ended (lasted about 30 seconds each) in my head and was very heavily breathing through them.

All of a sudden I noticed that the contractions had changed and were feeling very intense and instead of breathing through them all had started to become vocal and moan. I also started to feel a bit panicky and the pain was VERY intense. I was scared I was loosing control of them. Naomi noticed the change and told the midwife who stripped me off and helped me onto the bed.

She went to do an internal but told me that bub’s head was right there and I could push when I was ready. I just remember laying semi reclined on my back and I felt so sick I did a few little vomits with each contraction. The pain was SO bad I actually felt like I was having an out of body experience. All of a sudden a big burst of water came out and we could see come meconium in the water.

With the next contraction I started to push. It felt so good to be able to push and start moving the intense pressure down there. I pushed with all my might (Na thought I was going to burst a blood vessel) and Elliot was there next to me squeezing my head whilst my other hand was holding my thigh up. I remember trying to bite Elliot’s hand with one contraction, it was that bad.

With 6 pushes I felt his head come out. The crowning part was very stingy this time but it felt good to get his head out. With another push out came his shoulders and rest of his body and that’s when I tore my old tear. I had a second degree tear again.

Oliver James was born at 12.37am.

It was amazing feeling him come out. I cried with joy and it was so magical to finally hold him. All the months of horrible morning sickness and being uncomfortable were suddenly SO worth it. The blanket was lifted off me and he was placed straight onto my chest. We were all shocked at how dark his hair was as Samuel was quiet light and didn’t have much of it.

Almost instantly he started searching for the breast. I had excess amount of colostrum come out with each squeeze (as I had been expressing and storing colostrum since 36 weeks pregnant) and he attached beautifully. For the next 2 hours he sucked strongly and eagerly, all the while I was getting my stiches done. All I can say is OUCH! With Samuel I had one injection and the whole area was numb and I felt nothing. This time my legs were placed in stirrups and I felt 4 needles go into my vagina! Then she started stitching and I felt it and one of my legs flew out of the stirrup and almost whacked the lady in the head! The pain was too much so the midwife suggested I try the gas. I had 2 puffs and my head started spinning and I felt sick, so I gave it back. I then just put up with the pain, looking down at Oliver feeding. It was worse then the birth I reckon!

After I was done, and had a cup of tea and toast, I was helped into the shower where I cleaned myself up and got into some fresh clothes. I pushed Oliver in his cot back into my room. After a little while Elliot went home to get some rest.

That night, well day actually, Oliver and I had lots and lots of skin to skin cuddles and he was pretty much on my boobs the whole time. I was so amazed at what we had created and instantly fell in love with my little man.

This time round everything has been SO different. I was very overwhelmed with the life change when Samuel was born I didn’t really sit back and enjoy the early days. But now I’m just going with the flow and enjoying being a mummy to my two gorgeous boys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sammy is 2 months!

Mr Timmy came for a visit

Merry Christmas Everyone