An update on Sam

I thought I would do a blog entry just on Sam and his development.

Samuel is now 3.5 years old and has just grown so much right in front of our eyes! He has shot right up and is talking really really well. I think its mainly just his lack of pronunciations of certain letters that is slowing him down a bit. We were finally offered a spot with Logan Speech Therapy after almost 2 years of being on the waiting list. We have been having fortnightly appointments a couple of months now.The last time we were there Sam was 2 yrs 9 months.

On his first visit Sam and Olivia (therapist) sat down at the table and went through a book of about 50 pictures and Sam had to name them all. He answered pretty much every single one and as he was saying the word she would write down the way he pronounced it in her book.

Basically in the end all the pronounciation mistakes he's making is completely normal for his age. As he gets older these mistakes should correct themselve. The only borderline concern is the way he pronounces his F's. He replaces them with an S. She offered two things, either a take-home-pack with exercises for us to do or a few one-on-one therapy sessions there to work on the F's. I said after waiting for almost 2 years I will take the one-on-one lol.

We have had quite a few lessons and we were just getting Sam used to placing his bottom lip under his top teeth so he could pronounce it. At first Olivia was having to use a wooden stick (like at the drs when they check your tonsils) to get him to place his lip there! We spent a whole lesson on that! Slowly he started getting it and as he was saying the F at the beginning of a word, he would run his fingers outwards in a straight line lol He can now he pronounce the F straight away. So proud of my little man! He's all on track now.

I get a sitter for Oliver everything time we have an appointment as it would be way too much of a distraction having him there. We should be finishing up soon as he is spot on for his development now.

Sam's favourite game at the moment is hide-and-seek. He LOVES hiding as I think El and I just hide too good and end up scaring the crap out of him LOL. The funny thing is he always hides in the same spot (under Ollie's cot) so we just pretend we cant find him and walk around saying "Sammy, where are you?". Ollie loves the game too and usually ends up pointing to where he is LOL

Big man certainly has attitude sometimes. He gets it from me :( He can get so angry and fired up and usually ends up lashing out on Ollie which is a disaster. Its usually "you're not my best friend anymore"...or if he doesn't like the food I give him for dinner he will say "thats disgusting" LOL.

Again, after 4 months, Sam is back out of our room. It only took a few nights and now he falls asleep within 10 minutes by himself and sleeps through. Having oil heaters on in the boys room has definitely helped but Sam sometimes still wakes up early morning and comes into bed with us. I'll ride with that!

We are still going to Beenleigh Playgroup every Friday. The kids love it and so do I. I think we'll continue going there until I either have to start working Fridays or until Oliver goes to school. The girls are lovely!

Samuel is very much into Transformers and spiderman at the moment. I am very organised and have already put the kids presents from El and I and Mum and Nan on layby. I took advantage of the toy sale and online layby. Now the kids will have lots of pressies to open on xmas day! Now to just get onto their birthday presents!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sammy is 2 months!

Mr Timmy came for a visit

Merry Christmas Everyone